Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Primer for new exterior stucco work. Use Cover Stain?

Norminn wrote:

The primer you select will tell you how long you can wait to paint.
Ours was two or three days, max. We have stucco on concrete block, about
40 years old. When it was painted, the stucco had lots of fine,
hairline cracks. Contractor used a brushable caulk to cover the cracks
- 4 years and they haven't reappeared. When I was reading up in prep
for our project, acryllic was said to be best for masonry because it
allows a little moisture to breathe out of the masonry and lessens
likelihood of blistering. Our contractor rinsed with bleach, then
pressure washed, as we had lots of peeling paint. One coat prime, one
coat semi. Porter Paint, not my choice but it is a good job and looks
good so far. The contractor had wanted to put on two coats, but condo
board said one. Fine job. Any good brand of paint should have a
product for masonry.

The condo board _limited_ the number of coats you could put on to
_one_?! You have a very, very stupid condo board. The finish coat
is the wear coating, the primer is a bonding coat. You would have
gotten much more life out of the two coats.