Default Mini Lathe Bed Extention

There are some lighter 12x36 models out there. Generally this is not
considered an asset, but in you instance it might be. I would not
hesitate at all to drag an old atlas into an apartment. Shouldn't
exceed the weight of a bathtub full of water, a refrigerator, or a
piano, for instance. In fact, getting it into your apartment would not
be unlike a piano. I can carry my 10-42 atlas(bed length, not center
to center). You can certainly continue on the path you previsouly
selected, but oddball approaches like thisgenerally do not pay unless
you have a very specific job that you will repeat very often and no
alternatives. You have already identified the issue of carriage
travel. Additionally,once you line everything up, you have the issue
of how to mount the two beds so that their relative positions remain the
same. A wooden bench isn't going to do it, since they will shift
appreciably the first night from moisture or temperature. Never mind,
that even if your building is solid concrete it will move as well. The
best way to counteract this is to build a very substantial steel
support. This steel support would end up giving you pretty much the
same issues as a small 10-36 bench lathe or 12/36 bench lathe. Thus
the answers you have been given to date.

Charles

David Heidary wrote:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I would have followed your advice if
I could fit a 12x36 lathe into the elevator and get it up to my second
floor apartment hopeing that the floor would not give in under the
weight.

Regards,

David Heidary