Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Adding new circuit to a panel.

"ng_reader" wrote in message

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
6...
Hi Folks, I've upgraded my electrical service to a 200 amp circuit
breaker system. I would like to add another circuit for some
additional florescent lights in my basement. I have several open slots
for new breaker's in the panel. My question is can I buy a new circuit
breaker and install into an open slot then run a new line to the
lights ? or do I need a professional to install new circuit's.
Thanks Dick

If you have to ask, then yes you need a professional.

Just do it. I know what you mean.

However, that large switch at the top, it's the "Main Disconnect". I am
going to suggest that you throw that in whatever the "off" position is
before you bring your cable down to the new breaker.

Believe me, I learned that the hard way!

(And no, it didn't feel any different coming down the main as it does at
any other time. Although, I'm pretty sure I was getting 240 volts, not
120!)

And exactly how could you get 240?