Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Default Mag-lite, again

"Roger Taylor" wrote in
:

"C & E" wrote in message
Went tot the cabin to do some deer hunting and found the Mag lite
nonfunctional. I had left the batteries in it since last year (don't
usually) but there is no sign of corrosion let alone leakage. These
things aren't that complicated but I've done the battery and bulb
swap out with no change. Any other suggestions before I trash
*another* Mag-lite?? This is a 2 AA cell unit, if that matters. Oh
yea, I wrote to the company on Monday but haven't heard back as yet.

Replace your junky AA maglite with a led flashlight like the Lightwave
2000 (3 aa cells), or 3000 if you want to use C cells. These items are
waterproof and shockproof, no breakable lenses, and lifetime
100,000-hour bulbs. I have found maglite extremely overrated, except
as a club, and have 10-20 hours battery life, vs about 200-300 hours
for the led lights. Perhaps the batteries are shorting out with the
inside of the flashlight housing, due to high humidity conditions and
tight fit. Ironically, cheaper (plastic) flashlights don't have the
possibility of shorting into the casing, as plastic is the perfect
insulator.. Admittedly maglights focus a brighter spot, but most
light needs i have are for a "wash" not a spot.

I bought a "River Rock" 2AAA LED flshlight for $10 from Target,it has a
0.5W LED,claimed to run for 7 hours on a battery set,and is brighter (and
whiter)than my 2AA Maglite. It's polished aluminum,.75" in diameter at it's
widest point,fixed focus,and shorter than the 2AA Maglite.It has a tailcap
pushbutton for momentary light,and twist the tailcap for continuous
operation.

BTW,there are drop-in conversion kits for the 2AA Maglite,either the 0.5W
led,or a 1W Luxeon LED.They cost about twice what the Maglite costs alone.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik