Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

Default gas line for stove

Paul Franklin wrote:
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 05:37:50 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

I may be looking for a new home...moving to NC. My personal preference
is to cook with gas. I really hate electric stoves. Someone told me that
even if the home has gas coming into it, for heating, it is hugely
expensive to have a line run for a stove.

snip

It depends on the type of house construction and how far the line has
to be run. If the house has a basement without a finished ceiling,
and the gas line to the furnace is not far from the kitchen location,
this is not a big job.

If the house is built on a slab (no basement or crawl space), and the
kitchen is far from the gas line, then it is more difficult.

A crawl space or a basement with all finished ceilings is somewhere in
between.

Hard to estimate $$ as it depends on the above plus local labor rates,
but once you know the above information, a call or two to local
plumbers should get you a ballpark. For the first situation
(unfinished basement, existing gas line to furnace runs near kitchen)
it should be well under $1000 in most areas. Pretty much the same
deal for a gas dryer line.

HTH,

Paul

have a slab on grade house, Gas line runs through attic.
MC