Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

Default Primer for new exterior stucco work. Use Cover Stain?

In replacing my roof, they tore out an 8 inch high swath of stucco, put
in the flashing, applied the asphalt composition shingles and applied a
new coat of stucco where they'd torn out the stucco. They told me it
should be primed. I asked when and they said to wait a month. It's been
about that long now and there's a few days of dry weather coming so I
figure I should prime it now. There's about 60 square feet of it. I
don't believe they put on two coats, like some roofing contractors said
they would do in their bids. I see some cracking, already. But my other
stucco is cracked in places. Well, the whole exterior needs a paint job
but right now I figure I should prime that new stucco work.

I have a lot of Zinsser Cover Stain, and it says on the can that you can
use it to prime masonry. I wonder if it would be a better idea to use
something else. How long can I leave the primed stucco before applying
exterior paint? I haven't decided on paint and colors for the house yet.

Comments, recommendations appreciated. If recommending a product, please
suggest how much I should get and where (I live near Home Depot).
Thanks!

Dan