Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Kenwood KR-V75R Receiver

"Chris F." wrote in message
I went through the power supply and didn't find any bad caps. Seems to be a
good 30V supply there in the PS area, but without a schematic I can't
follow
it any further. Would it be right to suspect logic problems or a bad
display
at this point?

It is very rare to get either logic faults or bad VFDs to cause total
failure of the display. VFDs normally wear out gracefully over a couple of
years - very common on VCRs. One notable exception was a particular model of
Sony, which used to suffer a display destroyed in a matter of days when a
cap in its heater supply went bad, but that is the only bit of kit that I
have ever known this to happen to.

When you say that you have a " good 30v supply in the PS area " are you
talking a separate minus 30v, and not one half of the + / - 30v supplies
that are probably there for the output stages ? Did you find the voltage
multiplier that generates this supply. If so, did you check the caps'
coupling performance with a 'scope, or their " goodness " with an ESR meter
?

Have you checked that there is minus 30v at the display panel heater pins,
as I detailed ?
I'm willing to bet that the problem is still supply related ...

Arfa