dddd

Default Moving a Lathe

When I purchased my Habegger, I removed the headtstock, bed and tailstock.
I also removed the motor and the drawer for the cabinet. I was able to
horse everything around by myself (down an airway into the basement). While
the Logan is larger, this might be the safest and easiest way under the
circumstances you describe.

Besides, it gives you the opportunity to spruce it up before you reinstall
it.

Also, believe it or not it may be least expensive and safest to ship it via
Amtrak. Crate and skid the parts. I once shipped a 150 lb watch cleaning
machine from Baltimore to Chicago for $28; and it got there the next day.
They even provided the plastic wrap. I also shipped a 100 lb timeclock to
Boston. Both arrived in excellent condition.

You just have to arrange pickup and delivery from the station and Amtrak
will even help with that.

--
Regards,
Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
om...
In the future, I will be needing to move a medium size lathe (Logan
12" - ~1100 lbs.) cross country.

In the past, it was wheeled on to a small trailer, tied down and
relocated locally.

I would be interested in hearing of anyone's suggestions as to how to
prepare this lathe for the cross country move. Assume that the lathe
is on wheels and no forklift or lift is available. To complicate the
situation, also assume only one person is dealing with the load on
both ends of the relocation.

If you have ever moved a larger lathe, you soon realize that they are
very top heavy and are prone to tipping. Other than blocking and tying
the lathe down in place once it has been loaded, I cannot think of any
other precautions that can be taken. I do plan on loading the lathe so
the long axis of the lathe is parallel with the vehicle's so any
sudden braking or acceleration occurs along the long axis of the
lathe.

I would also be interested in hearing of any recomendations of how to
deal with moving heavy machinery that is top heavy with minimal
resources (no lifting devices ala forklifts, engine cranes, etc.)
during the moving phase. I think we all have been in a situation where
a machine needs to be moved and the needed device to move them is
somewhere else.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Too_Many_Tools