Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Default Brown's gas??

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:12:26 -0800, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

what do you think about the claims made by watertorch?

Snake oil. The basic technology is a commonplace - avoid storing
flammable gases by making them on demand instead. The "Brown's Gas"
malarkey makes two additional claims:

- They claim that the gas they produce contains monatomic hydrogen and
monatomic oxygen as well as the usual diatomic form. This would indeed
be an "extra energy" fuel, but there's no evidence that this actually
happens. By normal chemistry the hydrogen and oxygen produced in the
electrolysis cell will have combined long before it gets to the torch.

- There's some babble about a "cool flame". This is simply ridiculous.
The idea that it "radiates at 129°C" is particularly silly. It's a
hydrogen-oxygen flame - they're hot, that's how they work. It's not
magic though, nor are normal rules of physics or chemistry suspended for
this magic gimmick.

If you want a convenient hydrogen-oxygen torch, then many jewellers are
already running them happily. Personally I wouldn't buy a tin-opener
from this bunch, because they're talking rubbish. Maybe they're actually
selling a perfectly adequate electrolytic torch (as several other
manufacturers do) but they don't have to insult my own knowledge and
experience to do so,

For a real laugh, check out their opportunities to invest page. Reads
like the Brooklyn Bridge is up for sale.

Koz