Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with Warping treated posts

According to the lumber yard where we got the posts, they would have
been dried before being treated. However, they were not dried after
being treated. Do you think I could force them back straight if I put
an I beam on the bowed in side and used a clamp to pull in the center?

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:30:16 -0800, "Roger Taylor"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
My new house has a back porch. The roof is held up by a couple of 4 x
4 treated posts. Both posts were green when installed. Now, after 6
months, both posts are warping. There is as much as a 1" deflection
from the top(or bottom) to the middle. Is there anything I can do
about it? These posts have not been stained or sealed.

Probably means they were treated way before they were cured, then finally
dried out and warped after installation. Bad lumber. Short of replacing
them, the bend is pretty hard to cure, but other than being cosmetically
unappealing, probably not yet a worry, structurally.