Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

Default Mag-lite, again

"C & E" wrote in message
Went tot the cabin to do some deer hunting and found the Mag lite
nonfunctional. I had left the batteries in it since last year (don't
usually) but there is no sign of corrosion let alone leakage. These
things aren't that complicated but I've done the battery and bulb swap out
with no change. Any other suggestions before I trash *another* Mag-lite??
This is a 2 AA cell unit, if that matters. Oh yea, I wrote to the company
on Monday but haven't heard back as yet.

Replace your junky AA maglite with a led flashlight like the Lightwave 2000
(3 aa cells), or 3000 if you want to use C cells. These items are waterproof
and shockproof, no breakable lenses, and lifetime 100,000-hour bulbs. I
have found maglite extremely overrated, except as a club, and have 10-20
hours battery life, vs about 200-300 hours for the led lights. Perhaps the
batteries are shorting out with the inside of the flashlight housing, due to
high humidity conditions and tight fit. Ironically, cheaper (plastic)
flashlights don't have the possibility of shorting into the casing, as
plastic is the perfect insulator.. Admittedly maglights focus a brighter
spot, but most light needs i have are for a "wash" not a spot.