Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default Blocking up a doorway/new wall (Buildings Regs/Planning Perm required?)

Andy Jeffries wrote:

We're planning on have whoever does the bricking up Proposed Wall to
fill in the gaps. What sort of insulation would be required? Would
it have to be two layers of brick or would one brick layer and say
two layers of plasterboard be enough?

New build would require a thick cavity wall with the cavity full of
rockwool - but this little bit isn't going to have a dramatic effect on the
heat losses from the whole building. It's best to discuss it with a BCO and
find out what he would consider to be acceptable.

The best advice in all such cases is to wander down to your local
authority offices - arned with photos of the existing setup and rough
diagrams of what you want to do, and have informal chats with a
planning officer and a building inspector. They will advise you what
is likely to be acceptable from a planning point of view, and what
you need to do to comply with building regs.

OK, thanks for that tip, I'll give them a ring in a bit.

By all means ring to find out when they're open etc. - but you won't get
very far on the phone - it's far better to *go* and talk to them face to
face. The planners and BCOs at my local council seem to work on some sort of
rota system - so that there's always someone in the office who can talk to
members of the public when they drop in.
--
Cheers,
Set Square