Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default power goes off....breaker is on

Phil wrote:
I'm having a problem with an electrical circuit in my home. The power
goes out only in one section and hours to days later it may come on
again for no apparent reason and then off again. I was able to
isolate the breaker when
power resumed. It's a double 30 amp breaker and it doesn't trip off
but still no power. It only controls doorbell and an outlet in the
garage. I've checked for loose wires but haven't found anything. I've
flipped the breaker on and off and still nothing. I think at one time
this was for an electric water heater but have switched to gas over
20 years ago. Could the breaker be bad? I would appreciate any
suggestions.
thanks in advance.

Phild

I suspect a GFI somewhere. (note the outlet in the garage). It may be
almost anywhere including the kitchen and baths. I would also agree that
you may well have a sub panel. It would be unusual for a 30 amp double
breaker feeing anything other than a sub panel or a single fixed 240V device
like an electric stove or water heater.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit