Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default Need a Cheap Nailer For Toe-Nailing

On 7 Dec 2005 20:01:09 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

It is a Senco FinishPro-18 brad nailer that comes with a small air
compressor (1 hp, 1 gal).

I have just tried toe-nailing. This time I press the nailing head
firmly against the wood at 45-degree before I hit the trigger. But the
result is the same. The nail is sticking out by 1/16" (on soft wood
like pine) (or 1/8" in dense wood like MDF). I would much rather that
it was counter-sunk or flush with the surface.

Jay, if you simply must use toenailing, try a shorter brad and a few
more brads per project. Also think about switching to pocket screws
instead, if your project wood thickness could support it.

If you're concerned with the compressor, add a 5-gallon storage tank
near the nailer. Did you buy the PC0947 kit? That noisy little bastid
of a 1hp compressor should easily handle a nailer at full speed.

One last question: Have you tried any other brands of nails? Perhaps
one with a sharper tip would work better. If you have a belt sander,
you can see if a sharper tip on a strip of existing nails helps. I use
one to pare down my 1-1/4" brads for my 1-3/16" gun. (Newbie mistake,
last minute purchase; luckily only a 1k box. big sigh

The Titanic. The Hindenburg. +
http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design