Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

Default Need a Cheap Nailer For Toe-Nailing

On 7 Dec 2005 19:47:48 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

I am currently working on the assumption that the air compressor is not
up to the task. The small air compression that comes with the Senco
brad nailer automatically cut off at 120 PSI and cannot be adjusted
upward. I am wondering if a higher PSI would make a difference. May I
ask you what is the PSI of the regulator in your air compressor when
you successfully toe nail using a brad nail?

I don't toenail, I screw SPF framing members together when possible.

Most guns want 90psi max, too, so I doubt it's your pressure. Check
your volume to the gun, though. Is it worse with
rapid-fire? That would indicate a feed volume problem. Have you
rebuilt the Senco yet? Pulling it down and cleaning it can make a big
difference in an air tool. Sometimes pieces of debris (specifically
teflon tape) get in the inlet and ruin performance. (Gummed vanes in
rotary tools cause the same performance hit.)

Even my $15 Harbor Fright nailer and $24 HFT stapler
will sink a staple or brad head beneath the surface.

Yes, my Senco is also able to counter sink a nail -- when it is _not_
toe-nailing.

Could it be your method? Watch your hand while you hit the trigger for
a toenailing shot. If it moves, try holding it perfectly still. This
is especially critical with longer nails. What length are you
shooting? It's possible that the gun you're using isn't up to the
task for that length nail and the type of wood you're using.

The Titanic. The Hindenburg. +
http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design