Posted to sci.electronics.repair
The Stovalls

Default Compaq laptop motherboard problem

Hi all,
I'm new to the group, but in searching for an answer to my problem, this
group came up, so I thought I would give it a try. I have a Compaq EVO
N1000V laptop that is about 3 yrs old. The motherboard has been replaced
once about a year and a half ago for this same problem, but the warranty has
since expired. One of the small diodes (I am assuming here) has burnt
completely off of the solder & is mostly disintegrated from the arcing.
There are no identifying marks on these tiny chips that I can find. The
chips that are next to it & appears to be the same measures 0.109" x 0.138"
& are soldered to the board by only 2 points (one at either end of the long
side). I suspect that this is part of the charging system, since I am
getting no power to the board. I am not a "board repairman" but am a A+
certified technician with all sorts of pc repair experience under my belt.
If I could determine the type of chips needed, I could solder them on
myself! I would also be willing to send the board to someone for repair, but
have had a rough time finding anyone qualified! Could some of you guys help
me identify the chips, or direct me to a repair shop with a good reputation?
I would like to find a shop local to the north Atlanta area if possible.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!!!

Thanks
Brian