Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default Housing market is realy bucking up!

In article ,
DJC wrote:
Tim S wrote:

Oh for 1995 prices. Or even 1969.

I did a calculation based on what my Dad paid for his old house in north
Surrey in 1969 compared to what it's worth now (since moved, but estate
agent websites have plenty for sale in the same road).

After inflation adjusting, I believe the price in 2005 is at least 5 times
greater than 1969 in real terms.

And what would you income have been in ten years ago or your father's in
1969?

House prices have risen to match incomes or, more precisely, the amount
available to pay a mortgage now interest rates are lower. Whether that
will be a good deal in the long run, with no inflation to wipe out the
debt is another matter.

At one time - ie when I started on the silly ladder - mortgages were typically
up to a maximum of 3 times one salary + one-third the spouse's salary. And
when I say 'typically' you simply couldn't get more (there were some that
offered you less)! What are they now?