Posted to alt.home.repair
John

Default GFCI device

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:21:52 GMT, (Beachcomber)
wrote:

Apparently, this device is a Leviton 8895-01x and is described here
http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/gfci/GFCI_Brochure.pdf as a SmartLock High
Current GFCI, on page 14. The markings on the actual item are too
small for me to read. Next trip w/magnifying glass ...

You are aware that what you call "stand alone" GFCI can be wired to
protect other outlets downstream in addition to itself? Check the
wiring diagram that comes with the packaging.

The standard dual outlet GFCI is your best bet in terms of cost. If
your wiring is accessible, you only need one per circuit (to protect
the whole circuit).

Not Always. One time I installed some GFCI's for someone who had
outlets on either side of her sink. These were on the same circuit but
neither one was "downstream" from the other. It took 2 GFCIs.

I have seen these on sale for as low as $5 but
usually they are just a little bit more.

I've seen the GFCI only (no outlets) models you mentioned. They
probably cost more and are harder to find as replacements, but they
also still should be able to monitor the entire circuit depending on
how they are wired.

By the way, the electrician you mentioned is an idiot and a danger to
the life and property of your family. Wire gauge goes by circuit
rating, #12 for 20 amp circuits and #14 for 15 amp circuits. If he
installed the wrong size, you've got a problem (regardless of what he
had on the truck).

Beachcomber