Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Akai protable DVD player pdvd172

"Joust" wrote in message
oups.com...
I haven't used this portable much and it quit on me. a couple car trips
so it saw maybe 4 movies.
Symptom is the disk tries to start spinning but won't. then the unit
says NO DISK.
it spins freely by hand so its not stuck.

its a model PDVD172
any advice?
Take my lumps and not buy Akai anymore? Bought it at Walmart and they
pretty much said bugger off.

Make sure that the laser isn't stuck somewhere down its track, and refusing
to home. Quite common on players that are not used much, and that leave the
laser at the last played point when you take out the disc. Many portables do
this.

Also, make sure that the laser lens is not ' filmy '. It can get like it if
it is in a smoky atmosphere. Other than this, the " NO DISC " message is
very often an indication of a failed laser. Just for sport, try getting it
to play a CD. If it doesn't play it, suspect one of the problems above. If
it does play it, suspect a defective laser.

Arfa