Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

Default Housing market is realy bucking up!

In message , Tim S
writes
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:24:51 +0000, Chris Bacon wrote:

MM wrote:
I can only say that the market is on a slightly rising trend now.

Volume of sales increasing, fine. Price rise? The last thing needed.

Yeah - I'm banking on them halving in the next few years or I'll be
renting for the rest of my life the way it is right now.

Oh for 1995 prices. Or even 1969.

I did a calculation based on what my Dad paid for his old house in north
Surrey in 1969 compared to what it's worth now (since moved, but estate
agent websites have plenty for sale in the same road).

After inflation adjusting, I believe the price in 2005 is at least 5 times
greater than 1969 in real terms.

I've always felt that the inflation rate is something massaged by the
government of the day to make themselves look the best they can.

A better measure would be how does the average house price compare to
the average wage

or even

how does the average house price x the typical mortgage interest rate
compare to the average wage

i think someone posted the chart here a few years ago, and the former
figure suggested that prices had peaked, but the latter figure suggested
that prices had a long way to go.

--
Richard Faulkner