Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Simon Waldman

Default Unsafe UV from high-power tungsten halogen in office?

wrote:

I'm looking for a way that results in a uniform continuous spectrum. I have
found that fluorescent does not accomplish that. Also, LED does not, either.
But I think there may be hope in that LEDs are available is lots of different
wavelengths. A mix of a lot of these could come close to the continuous
spectrum.

Well, yes... but good fluorescents come at least that close. Look for
tubes with a colour rendering index of at least 90. They will be
referred to as "colour 9xx", where the second two digits refer to the
colour temperature. These tubes are usually not as bright as standard
ones, but offer a smoother spectrum.

Off the top of my head, one such range is Osram's "Lumilux Deluxe", at
least in Europe.

Osram and Philips have both recently brought out another range of tubes
with *really* good colour rendering (CRI of 98 or so), but they're
pretty dim for the power input. The Philips one goes by the name of
"Graphica" in Europe, I can't remember what Osram call them. ISTR that
they're only available at a 6000K colour temp or thereabouts, and I
*think* that they may only be in T8.

--
Hello, you've reached the psychiatric hotline. If you are
obsessive and compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly. If you