Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

Default GFCI device

On 7 Dec 2005 13:00:24 -0800, wrote:

"I do not know the cost of this device, but the electrician that
installed it mentioned that a 15 ampere GFCI circuit breaker would be
about 130$us. "

A GFCI breaker should cost about 1/3 of that, unless that price
includes installation. Also, it's not clear to me why an electrician
would put a seperate GFCI in it's own box in the basement to service a
bathroom fan instead of just putting in a GFCI breaker. The later
would seem easier, less confusing, and less labor.

Material cost and labor cost, in this instance, were included under
the contract pricing for the bathroom remodelling/gutting.

When I get the chance, I will telephone a local electrical supply
house for a price quote on both a 8895-01x and a GFCI circuit breaker
for the service panel.

That electrician is judged to be a flaky individual. He initially put
in 14 gauge wire rough wiring for a GFCI outlet near the sink, (later
claimed that that was because he did not have 12 gauge wire on his
truck that particular day); initially failed to install power feed
wire for the night light; installed a plastic, single gang JB that was
missing the nails; and did not secure the wire to/from that JB with
staples.