Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice Dams

wrote:
irman wrote:
On 5 Dec 2005 12:41:48 -0800,
wrote:

Hello, I live in Philadelphia and had some problems with ice dams in
the back (north) side of my house after a big storm last winter. I
have a split-level home with a pretty simple "A" roof (no valleys or
dormer windows).

I had a new roof installed in the spring and had the entire roof
surface covered with ice and water shield (I know that ice/water shield
won't prevent dams from forming, but hope that it will minimize or
prevent any leaking to occur inside the house in the event dams do
form).

I also had the roofer extend the eaves in the back of my house out to
about 1 foot, allowing for a continuous soffit vent to be installed
underneath the eave. A gable vent and two cap vents were previously
installed in the roof as well.

Finally, I am having my existing attic insulation upgraded (not much
there right now at all).

Should these measures be sufficient in order to prevent damage from ice
dams in the future, or are there other things that I should be doing as
well?

You can always fill an old tube sock or two with ice melt and throw them up on
the roof just above the ice dam.
This will punch holes through the dam and help prevent it moving up the roof.

You got that right. Tried it last year in a pinch and it saved me some
major damage.

Thanks for the helpful responses. Here's another question...if I
remove most of the snow from the eaves (as far up as I can reach) with
a roof rake or other similar device, will that help alleviate the
potential for ice dams to form?