Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maglite / Duracell Battery Interaction

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"John‰] wrote:

-snip-
Got mad and sent the four cell to Duracell with a letter complaining
about their cheap, crappy batteries. Got a very nice letter in return
with a check for $38 to replace my two ruined flashlights and $12 worth
of coupons for any Duracell product. If the damage to the flashlight
was caused by the flashlight they probably would have ignored my letter
or politely told me to get bent.

-snip-

I would tend to agree that Duracell would point a finger at Maglight
if they thought they could support it.

But as a couterpoint- I have been using Duracells exclusively for 20
years. [recently I've begun usinf NiMH fo cameraflashes] I've had
them in camera flashes, cd-players, radios and kids toys. I've
're-discovered' flashlights that were hidden behind or under furniture
for years. But I haven't seen a leaky one in 20 years. I thought
battery makers had figured out how to make them leakproof.

I've never owned a maglight because I couldn't justify spending real
money on something that would most likely get lost in a year or two.
Back in the days when I did experience leaky batteries it seems like
the way they most likely would leak was if the appliance was left on
causing a drain past the battery's life. Is it easy to leave one
turned on or turn it on accidently?

Jim

I generally have good luck with Eveready and Duracell, though some
leaks with both, but lately having tried Rayovac, too many leaks.