Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

Default Maglite / Duracell Battery Interaction

BobK207 wrote:
Over the years I have had & have found Maglite flashlights (only 3 & 4
cells) wihere the Duracell batteries have leaked & gotten stuck.

I don't remember where I learned it, but I learned a long time ago that
alkaline batteries in a Mag-Lite will swell, leaking and becoming too big
to slide out easily. It's apparently caused by some sort of outgassing
from the batteries, though no one I know is aware of any reason for
batteries to pass gas. The cure is to open the light, take the batteries
out, put them back and close the light, once a month or so.