Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

Default GFCI device

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:13:01 GMT, Vince
wrote:

I am aware that GFCI circuit breakers exist, but when installing an
additional 15 ampere branch circuit, an electrician installed a GFCI
device within an one gang electrical box. How does such a GFCI device
compare to use of a GFCI circuit breaker ? Cost? Reliability? False
alarms ?

How might I go about testing the newly installed GFCI device ?

The additional GFCI branch circuit is required for running a Panasonic
exhaust fan within the wet area.

If I had known of such independent GFCI devices, I would have made use
of it rather than individual GFCI duplex outlets when I added a
circuit branch for auxillary outdoor and garage duplex outlets.

Just to be clearer, the GFCI device to which I am referring does not
include any receptacles. It has just the Reset/Test switches. The
one installed here is located adjacent to the circuit breaker panel in
my basement, secured to the overhead joist. It supplies power to the
Panasonic fan motor, the two 13 watt florescent lamps via a ballast
transformer, and a 4 watt incadescent bulb.

I do not know the cost of this device, but the electrician that
installed it mentioned that a 15 ampere GFCI circuit breaker would be
about 130$us. I will search for a (Leviton) part number and attempt
to obtain local pricing info to satisfy my curiosity.

I am located on Long Island in New York.