Ian Stirling

Default gas or not?

Gary Coffman wrote:
On 25 Jul 2003 09:07:53 -0700, (Joe) wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm in the market for an oxy-acetylene welding/cutting

snip
The thing you can't do with O/A, at least you can't do it well, is to
cut non-ferrous materials. A plasma will cut anything conductive,
but O/A works by using a jet of oxygen to burn iron that's been
preheated to ignition temperature. That won't work cleanly with
other metals (doesn't even work with cast iron).

Can you cut aluminium?

I suspect trying to cut magnesium would be a bad idea.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
'Where subtlety fails, we must simply make do with cream pies' -- David Brin