Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Big problem with electrical

According to CJT :
Chris Lewis wrote:
According to CJT :

I read what the others said, but I have a different suggestion.

It sounds to me like perhaps the neutral has become disconnected,
probably at the service entrance. Corrosion, perhaps?

A loose main neutral would result in some of the lights _brightening_,

That depends on the magnitude of the load the stove presents relative
to that of the lamps and whatever else is on that leg of the service.
They could brighten, dim, or look normal depending on how the voltage
divides.

Uh, no. With a loose neutral the stove load is _irrelevant_. As the
stove has no neutral connection (to the elements), it won't affect
how the loose neutral "divides" between the two legs. Switching
the stove on and off wouldn't affect the lights.

With a loose neutral, it's the balance of the 120V loads that determine
how the neutral "divides" between the two legs.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est