Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Default "Dream Home" laminate flooring

Mike S. wrote:
Sounds similar to the test I inadvertently gave my Pergo floor a few days
after I installed it...I dropped a heavy bottomed 12 quart pot about 6 feet
from the pot rack, it hit so hard it bounced back a foot or two. Once I was
able to look I found no dents or chip in the flooring..and felt a lot better
about it's durability. The floor is one year old now, and I still don't see
any noticeable wear or chips, though it is a little hard to keep it looking
clean, it shows every dust speck or lint that finds its way to the floor.

The Pergo and similar laminates with the aluminum oxide finish coat is
extremely durable stuff. We have it in our living room and it shows no
wear after two years. I thought the original poster was asking about the
snap-together tiles that have thin stone (3/16") bonded to a backer
board. I doubt any of those would pass your can-o-peas test.

One couple installed the black granite-faced laminate in their kitchen.
After they finished and spent a few minutes admiring their beautiful new
floor, they rolled the refrigerator back in (the kind with built-in
rollers) and it cracked every tile they passed over. Lowes refunded
their money.