Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

Default baseboards bled, but still no heat.

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:00:09 GMT, "Diezmon"
wrote:

Ok guys I've been googling up the wazoo today to try to figure this out.

I have a two zone system, upper and lower. Gas furnace, one pump(Grundfos
Type UP 15-42F), two valves(Honeywell V8048E), and baseboards.

here she is: http://www.diezfamily.us/images/bs/AUT_2702.JPG

I thought I had frozen lines but when I bleed the zones water flows just
fine. So I followed the procedures to purge each zone and started the
system back up.

snip

I'll add my .02.

Your circulator is on the return side, so one would normally suspect
an air lock, especially with one zone (sort of) working.

If I understand you, you:

1. Made sure makeup feed valve was full open.

2. Closed the shutoff on the return line of one of the zones.

3. Opened the drain valve on the inlet side of the circulator. This
allows water to flow from the makeup feed, through the backflow
preventor, through one of the zones, and out the drain valve. Flow was
good and strong.

4. You repeated this for the other zone.

If this is what you did, you pressure purged the system properly, and
should not have significant air in the loops.

If you are then still not getting circulation it is most likely the
circulator.

But you can try another thing first.

I don't see a boiler drain valve in the picture, but I assume there is
one there. Turn off the burner and let things cool a bit. Close
the valve on the outlet side of the boiler. Repeat your purge but
use the boiler drain valve instead of the one up on the inlet side of
the circ. This will force water to flow through through the
circulator and the boiler.

If you still get a solid, forceful flow (not just the boiler draining,
then it really is most likely the circulator.

Shut it down, close all the valves, and drain the boiler down below
the point where the circ is plumbed in. Remove the circ and bench
test it.

HTH,

Paul