jk

Default Shop Power

keith bowers wrote:

Good points, thank you.
I found four 90' rolls of nice new 00 wire at the scrap yard for $25 each
last year. This gives me the optino of upping the current later if needed.
I will probably do 8" #2 stubs from the breaker to the 00 hots using half
nuts for the connections. If I need additional power later I can add a
second 200 Amp feed. Local electricians tell me the power company doesn't
encourage second meters; don't know why. As for welding that will be from a
tractor-mounted 28 Volt 300 Amp DC generator. Another conduit will have the
emergency generator feed from shop to house, so I will have a way to light
things up while working on the main feeds plus fiber optics. Aonther will
have water and air and phone lines. A fourth will have coax, CAT-5e, and
other control cables.

Now you are setting your self up for some lovely ground loops.

Also, you will want (and need) a transfer switch for your generator.
If you can iso late the neutral at the generator, and use the service
entrance ground to ground it, you only need a 3 pole. If you can not
isolate it at the generator, you need a 4 pole switch.