Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ChrisCoaster

Default Long-Term Report: AVIA Calibration, 24" Toshiba, Sony flat Directview CRT

Late September, I adjusted both sets using AVIA Guide to Home Theater.
Was done via component cables to both sets.

When viewing movies via component on either TV, red push and other
issues are non-existent. Good black level, real edges, and excellent
whites. Movies also look good on RCA(composite) cables, with just a
slight hint of red and minor edge loss.

However, when viewing TV through the set's own tuner(basic cable),
there is an orange-red push that is all but *offensive* on NBC
stations. These include the NY affiliate, and MSNBC and CNBC. There is
a slightly less but still noticeable orange-red push to faces and red
graphics on CNN & CNNHeadline News.

The orangey-red continues to diminish slightly with Fox News Channel,
but is stronger on Fox locals. On PBS stations, local access, and on
History, Learning, Bravo, Nick, TVLand and Speed and such, the red-push
is minor or non-existent.

Is this an NBC issue or cable feed issue.

Should I attempt the AVIA calibration via the composite or even
"Channel 3"? Broadcast/Cable makes up 80% of my viewing habit, so
should I calibrate via the source I view the most - or leave the
settings as I achieved them via Component?

Thanks,