Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default BUILDING SHOP: SMOOTH OR ROUGH CONCRETE?

I used to visit a PCB fab shop. This was in the 70's.
The entire shop was built up on pallets - so the runoff wouldn't
flow on their shoes. I think the floor was dipped to the center with
a large drain...

Hose down to flush whatever down. The ugly days before OSHA cleaned up those shops.
(one of the good things they did)
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Diamond Dave" wrote in message

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:03:04 GMT, "knowone" wrote:

I am building a shop with a concrete floor.
I think that smooth concrete would be best for the floor due to easy
cleaning.
I also think a rough finish would be better to keep from slipping.
Maybe a trade-off.
What is the consensus?

Smooth concrete with rubber floor mats where ever you'll be standing for
extended times.

I agree, but with pallets instead of mats. Pallets allow for a place for
chips to go, so you don't have to stand in or on them. You can build
something from scrap lumber. It need not be tall, just some 1" stuff will
work fine. It's not only better for chip control, but keeps you off the
hard concrete floor. That can be nice if you stand for prolonged periods,
and even nicer if your floor is cold and you don't like cold feet.

Harold