Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Laying Bead on SS with MIG pretty messy.

Number 1 if you have the time and the money - you have the person. (the big three requirements)
Number 2 if you need it now - likely - and you can learn later as wanted.
On with the real job.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Blueraven wrote:
All,

The steel is 304 ss. It is a beer keg ss.

I talked to a welding engineer, as the people at Air Liquide called the
guy. Anyway, he said there wasn't much he cld help me with. He said I
may get the weld to hold but they would probably leak. Right now i just
want to weld close nipples and couplings to the side of beer kegs.

He said my best bet was to

1. either get a good tig welder and spend abt 20 hrs practiceing and
then do abt 4 projects to get it right. OR

2. I cld fit the stuff up like i want it and take it to ss welder to do
the work.

After that conversation, Im abt ready to convert the small Linclon mig
I have back to mild steel mode and do one of those options.

What do ya think?