Posted to misc.consumers,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Texas Yankee

Default Why does Maytag quality become so pitiful?

I had the same problems with my Maytag washer - I thought it was level and
seated properly on my tile floor - when I actually put a level on the
machine, it was off, just a bit - I balanced the machine (shims, adjustments
to the legs, etc.) using a level, and now it doesn't dance any more - but
the noise is STILL terrible - much louder than I'd expect - on some of the
wash cycles, it sounds like it's handling a bag of rocks, and it sounds like
the bag broke! When it was still in warranty, I had a warranty repair guy
come out - he listened and said that it was working as it should - "they all
make that noise".

Different machine (and different price point), but I was amazed at my
sister's Bosch diswasher - literally, we had to open the door to see if it
was running - with my ear on the machine, I couldn't tell!

My matching Maytag (electric) dryer seems fine.

wrote in message
oups.com...
The quality of Maytag washer and dryer are just great. Period. I
bought
my first pair in 1990 and they ran for 14 years without ANY problem.

Reliability is a statistical issue and you can't draw any conclusions
from your one experience, or from a handful of people you know. In the
past, many Maytag products have shown poor reliability in Consumer
Reports annual surveys, a fact I noted with interest due to the
conflict with Maytag's marketing propaganda. I believe there has been
some recent improvement. Still Consumer Reports shows that some Maytag
products are still among the most error prone.