Posted to misc.consumers,alt.internet.appliances,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnurd

Default Why does Maytag quality become so pitiful?

"consumer" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I saw the Maytag commercial many years - two service men are so
bored because they have nothing to do, I gave my consent from heart.
The quality of Maytag washer and dryer are just great. Period. I bought
my first pair in 1990 and they ran for 14 years without ANY problem. I
retired them in 2005 because the dryer started making noise so loud
that we think it is time to get a new one. The washer was still good
but we don't think it would run much longer than the dryer. I know
many people used their Maytag appliances for more than 20 years. I was
really impressed with their quality.

I bought my second pair of Maytag washer and dryer in June, 2004. Boy,
the quality is so pitiful. On the first day, the noise level of the
dryer is similar to my first dryer after 10 years. The washer works
fine except with some minor shakes that the first dryer never had.
Since I didn't buy the top line - Neptune, I think this is normal for
what I paid for.

Before the first anniversary of these two appliances, the washer shook
so much that I scheduled a Maytag service for examination. However, due
to a schedule conflict and the washer still works fine except shaking,
I cancelled the appointment. It turned out to be a costly mistake.

The washer continues to shake and only get worse. It started chaning
position after each use. I looked up Maytag web site to see if there is
any help. I found two FAQ that describe exactly what I am experiencing:

Why does my washer shake and vibrate?
Why is my washer shaking/moving across the floor?

Clearly I am not alone. The web site suggested the problem is caused by
imbalanced load. But I did a test by running the washer without any
load, the washer still shook and moved. Last week, the washer span 90
degrees and pulled the drain hose out from the drain pipe and spilled
water all over the laundry room.

I called Maytag and asked them if the problem can be covered by
warranty which expired in June, 2005. I pointed out the problem exists
before warranty expires and it is actually a very common problem to
many customers. They said no and would make no concession. I asked if
there is anything they can do to make an unsatisfactory customer happy,
they said there is NOTHING they can do.

I asked a local Maytag service person to look at the problem and he
said some parts need to be replaced. Fortunately the parts are still
covered under warranty. But the labor would cost me $220. I paid $420
for the washer just 18 months ago. I called Maytag again and they still
refused to cover a penny of the repair.

Here is my advice to readers:
1) Think twice before buying Maytag washer and dryer. I am told
Whirlpool is making better washer and dryer now. The good quality days
of Maytag is over.
2) Buy extended warranty. Two service people I talked to made the same
suggestion.
3) If there is any issue, no matter how minor it is, have the service
staff examine it before the warranty expires.

I don't understand why the quality of Maytag becomes so pitiful. The
confidence I have on Maytag for 14 years was completely wiped out in 14
months. Sigh!

Thats interesting you have had those problems with your set of Maytag
machines.
I too have owned their products since the 60's. I moved in 2004 to a new
place, gave away the old machines (left them behind) and purchased a set
from "Home Depot".
While they have the name "Admiral" on them they are MFG'D by Maytag. They
are the bottom of the line units costing below $400 each.
In the year I have owned them now, we have had ZERO trouble with them, they
do the job well.
I do however agree with you on the unbalance problem, they dont handle it as
well as the older machines did. My old Maytag would deal with it better,
then stop and buzz if it got out of hand. The new machine wont stop or buzz,
but rather thrash around the entire cycle.
Other than that, they have been a good investment.