Thompson Family

Default OT electrical question

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 01:02:26 GMT, someone who calls themselves "Ivan
Vegvary" wrote:

I'm trying to wire 3-way switches on either side of a ceiling lamp.

The
power initiates at one of the switches. I've got the wiring scheme

figured
out but I have a problem.

Prior to installing the lamp fixture I decided to check the switch

functions
(at the ceiling lamp) with this simple $ 1.00 neon tester. With the

switch
on the neon tester gives full brightness, with switch off it still

lights
up, but very dim.

snip

Before I develop a migraine reading through that again, are the
switches a "Pilot light" design to light up when they are off? That
would explain some current flow through the neon pilot lights.

The switches stamped "ILLUMINATED" on the back would be a big clue.

-- Bruce --
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA

WARNING: UCE Spam E-mail is not welcome here. I report violators.
SpamBlock In Use - Remove the "Python" with a "net" to E-Mail.

Even though you're an electrician Bruce, I'll stick my neck out and ask,

"Do they
even *make* 3-way switches with pilot lamps in them?".

Not impossible, but it's take some fancy wiring to make those neon pilot

lamps
light up when the switches are "off", wouldn't it?

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"I before E except after C"....(The height of insufficient weird ancient
science...)

I have several of them
the neon bulb is in series with the light bulb in the fixture when the
switch is off