Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house,misc.rural
TT

Default Woodstove "taco" fire builder!

"DrLith" wrote in message
TT wrote:
To expound on that, you can make your own firelogs (like the storebought
ones) with sawdust and leftover candle wax saved from burned down

candles.

I would think it would take a lot of leftover candles to make a sawdust

log!

Not really.

Most cheap pillar candles are extremely inefficient and end up blowing out
(melting a hole in the side thus ruining the candle and whatever surface
they are on). I ask friends to save dead candles for me so I get a fair
amount of wax on a regular basis.

One day I'm going to buy or build some sort of hydraulic press to compress
the wax/sawdust mixture into a much more compact log than I can with just
putting it into a 2x4 wood frame and mashing it down with a trowel. Being
able to compress it tighter cuts down on the amount of wax needed.

Has anyone seen this rolling machine that turns old newspaper into rolled
paper logs? I saw it in Skymall magazine last time I flew back east.

-Tom