Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default Water woes

Do you have neighbors in the vicinity? What are their
experiences?

Do you know who drilled the well? I would think they would know
what it might take to get good potable water. There may be
another producible zone by drilling deeper or casing out a bad
zone.

Your softener salesman or tech may have some additional
suggestions/solutions.

It would be unusual for you to be the only one in your vicinity
with problems.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"FfejNS" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have just purchased my second house. Both have had water
hardness &
iron problems, but this latest house has them to a much higher
degree.

The Facts:
Drilled well
Electric hot water tank
Hardness as CaCO3: 205.4 mg/L
Calcium: 63.7 mg/L
Sodium: 42.3 mg/L
Iron: 13.4 mg/L
Magnesium: 11.3 mg/L
Manganese: 0.313 mg/L

The system was charged prior to any water treatment, so my
toilet tank,
pipes, and presumably my hot water tank has heavy iron staining.
I have
put a water softener in place and have set it to regenerate
every
night, and did one manual regeneration with some "Super Iron
Out" added
to the brine. This, I assume, only helps remove any iron buildup
in my
softener, not in my hot water tank where I anticipated it is
most
needed. I have ceased any iron-buildup procedures until the core
iron
problem has been solved. It has been a week since the softener
was put
in, and the aesthetic quality of the water has improved a tiny
bit, but
heavy staining still occurs, and there is an objectionable
taste.

My home builder is under specific legal obligation to get the
water to
meet provincial and municipal standards, which a

Hardness as CaCO3: none
Calcium: none
Sodium: 200 mg/L
Iron: 0.3 mg/L
Magnesium: none
Manganese: 0.05 mg/L

What we *don't* know is what the softened water tests at, but my
tiny
bit of research shows me that a typical water softener can
remove
anywhere from 0.5 mg/L to 2 mg/L of iron (reducing its water
softening
capacity), so I anticipate that I am still way over the
guideline. I do
not know what effect the water softener has on manganese, if
any.

I wish to protect myself against bad counsel from my builder and
"ask
the experts" here on this group what the ideal solution is.
Obviously,
I am above standards on my Iron and Manganese, so these are my
primary
concerns. What sort of solution should I be lobbying my builder
for?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.