Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default UPS Fraud in Furnace Parts

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
"Sawney Beane" wrote in message
When the ignitor disintegrated in the palm of my hand, I couldn't
believe the dealer's assertion that UPS was at fault. It seemed
most likely that it had come from the factory with cracks. I
wanted to ask Norton if the dealer's printed warning was correct in
saying the manufacturer's QC amounted to the random test firing of
ignitors.

The ignitor came in a padded box with another company's name, so I
also wanted to ask which company did the QC. The one I bought
locally came in a box from a third company. When I opened it and
saw it was made by Norton, I felt uneasy. I realized it was unfair
to mistrust Norton products without verifying what the dealer had said.

Norton is the largest supplier of igniters in the world. They got that
way because of the quality of their parts. They make many millions of
them for every major appliance company. .

St. Gobain-Norton
Powers Street
Milford NH

Why not give them a call?

I can imagine he would sell black-market rejects if he had a
source. It may be downstream from Norton where ignitors are tested
and rejects set aside in their padded boxes. Who would think to
post a guard over junk? What would prevent a vending-machine
servicer, for example, from taking some if he knew who would buy
them?

Companies like Norton take steps to assure that does not happen. They are
smart enough to have a procedure in effect to prevent that. They are a
ISO9000 plant and have a written policy on rejects. I'm sure they will be
glad to review it with you. Please, don't make accusations with no
evidence as you look like a fool grasping at straws and can even leave you
open for a libel suit. I have been in that plant where the igniters are
made. It was 100% perfect when shipped to you.

Ed...I think hes FOS, cause norton does NOT include a decal or paper that
says, and I quote "not to touch the grey glass"
Nope..does not happen..aint in a box we have...
I belive this fella thinks that carbide ignitors are bulletproof, and dont
have whats called cleavage....maybe he outa look that one up.

Oh...and to the OP...we install I dare say 99% of them, never touch the
ignitor by more than the white ceramic base, it never touches anything once
its out of the package and if a 1st year apprentice can do it, anyone
can..trust me. While some are located in some real suck ass places on
CArrier units in particular, it can be done and the only part that gets to
touch anything, is that base and the set screw..or metal snap tang that
holds it in place..its not that hard..just slow, and easy.
Try putting one in a unit in a 30F crawlspace, with under 20 inches of room
to work.