Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Daniel J. Stern

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Sawney Beane wrote:

FWIW, you will probably find things slightly dimmer for the same
wattage. One of the disadvantages of our higher mains voltage is that
incandescant lamps are a little less efficient.

I'll have to think about the math. If filaments were made of the same
wire, they would have to be four times longer in Europe for the same
wattage, but then they would run much cooler. I guess European
filaments are longer and thinner. How does that require a less
energy-efficient design?

Longer/thinner wire in similarly-sized overall package generally means
coiled-coil rather than single-coil filaments. CC filaments of any given
length generally have lower overall surface luminance.