Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Does halogen bulb last longer if not "dimmmed"?

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

Now, we have compact fluorescents as well as triphosphor
linear fluorescents in two grades.
The "upper" grade linear triphosphor fluorescents have color code SPXxx
if by GE, D8xx if by Sylvania, and 8xx if by anyone else. xx is the
2-digit abbreviated color temperatu

27 - incandescent-like or close (most compact fluorescents)
30 - "warm white color" - slightly whiter or pinkish-whiter than
incandescent
35 - "whitish warm white" - I find that one really pleasant!
41 - "cool white"
50 - an icy cold pure white that sometimes looks slightly bluish

Don,
Thanks for some good information.

Put the light characteristics aside for a moment. I'd buy what I want for
living areas regardless of cost as comfort is what I'm after.

OTOH, there are some areas that just need some light (stairwell, shed, etc.)
and color temperature is not important. What is the difference between two
lights on the shelf at the hardware store, one is 99¢, the other is $8.99?
Both have the same information as to lumens and life span.

Thanks,
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/