Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

Default LawnBoy Crankshaft BENT? :-\

"fish" wrote in message
UPDATE

I found a good used crankshaft, sent to me via email from a guy in PA
who found a terribly neglected lawn boy in the trash. he knew my
story, picked up the mower, and basically charged me shipping to get
it to me with all the remains of the mower engine still attached. I
just about had tears when he told me he would ship it to me just for
the cost of shipping.

Anyway, it was completely covered in moist greasy dirty oil and then i
opened it up i found more black soot than kris kringle ever saw, but
the metal parts of the piston and cylinder were solid, no scratches,
they nearly looked brand new after the cleaning i gave it. So now the
motor is assembled and on the deck, I still need to put on the little
things like tank and muffler, etc. I finally took the piston out of
my old mower and it looked like a cheese grater with all the pitting
and scorching on it, i could hardly beleive it even ran like that.

Thanks guys for all the advice, etc. Mission accomplished.
Fish.

Good for you!
I used to cobble mowers together from random "junk".
You lucked out finding a similar model so parts were the same. Lawn Boy was
good for that. Many different models, but very few different engines over
the years.
My first mower was built from two junkers, I believe it is the one my
neighbor is using now. It was 15 years ago when I cobbled that one together
and it still runs great.
Greg