Posted to comp.periphs.printers,sci.electronics.repair
Sandy

Default Brother MFC-890 and "PLS OPEN COVER"

In article , Tony
wrote

Firstly enter maintenance mode (press the menu key while plugging in
the power), then

a) Press the 8 and 0 keys in this order in the initial stage of the
maintenance mode. The USB serial number appears on the LCD.
b) Press the Fax Start key. Each time the Fax Start key is pressed,
one of the following log information items appears on the LCD in
the order given below.
1) Ink cartridge drop count, indicating how many droplets have been
jetted out from each of the ink cartridges (Note 1).
2) Ink drop count after near-empty, indicating how many droplets have
been jetted out from each of the ink cartridges (Note 1) after the
ink empty sensor detects near-empty.
3) Total ink drop count, indicating how many droplets the equipment
has jetted out from each of the ink cartridges (Note 1) since
produced.
4) Jam count, indicating how many times a paper jam has occurred.
5) Total page count, indicating how many pages have been printed
since the equipment was produced.
6) PC print page count, indicating how many pages the equipment has
printed as an output device of the connected PC.
7) Copy page count, indicating how many copies have been made.
8) FAX page count, indicating how many received FAX pages have been
printed.
9) Purge count, indicating how many times the purge operation has
been carried out.
10) Wiper count, indicating how many times the wiper operation has
been carried out.
11) Ink cartridge change count, indicating how many times ink
cartridge replacement has been made for each color (Note 1).
12) Error code of the most recent machine error (Note 2).
13) Error code of the most recent communications error (Note 3).
14) ADF jam count, indicating how many times a document jam has
occurred.
15) ADF page count, indicating how many documents have been fed.
16) Flat-bed page count, indicating how many documents have been
scanned.

To stop this operation and return the equipment to the initial stage
of the maintenance mode, press the Stop key.

Note 1 - To check each of the four ink cartridges, press the Menu key.
Pressing the key cycles through black, yellow, cyan, and
magenta.
Note 2 - When a machine error code is displayed, pressing the Menu key
cycles through recent nine errors that have occurred.
Note 3 - When a communications error code is displayed, pressing the
Menu key cycles through the latest 3 errors.

Item 12 (see note 2) may give us some clues. It will probably only
give error code numbers but I can tell you what they mean (there are
dozens of different error codes).

Dear Tony,

I got a list of machine errors as follows:
1 - A1
2 - 33
3 - A1
4 - 33
5 - A1
6 - 33
7 - A1
8 - 33
9 - A1

The comms error list was:
1 - 17070000
2 - 0000FF00
3 - 17070000

The machine errors look like they come as related pairs. And so are
the comms errors. (I have a week old previous printout somewhere that
lists the comms errors as 0000ff00, 17070000, 0000ff00.)

I am really, really intrigued as to what are "A1" and "33". I look
forward to your answer.

Thanks again for your kindness.

With kind regards,

Sandy

P.S. In the meanwhile I have photocopied out my Christmas cards and now
I'm guillotining them down to size -- before that long haul of writing
to everyone we haven't spoken to all year.
--
Alexander Anderson
(Yorkshire, England)

Where there is no vision, the people perish.