Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

Default BUILDING SHOP: SMOOTH OR ROUGH CONCRETE?

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 21:44:18 GMT, "knowone" wrote:

What a great group. I hadn't considered pallets or even heated pipe or
colored/top colored concrete.

Well, he is going to pour this week or rather pump so not sure if I can do
all of this or not. Can one use PVC for warm - not hot- water for heating
the floor?

He has the slab divided into quarters due to the center beams that will go
in.

I definitely will do the smooth finish, I am not sure that I can do the
heated floor and besides, what do you heat it with or, how do you heat the
water?

How much does the colorant cost and where does one get it?

I had planned to use rubber mats but now, after reading the suggestions, I
will build pallets - great idea.

Not planning on using coolant.

Thanks everyone.

Make damn certain that the mix is as strong and low water as can be pumped. I
got a mix (in my second load) that had too much sand and too much water. This
has lead to some of the floor being decidedly soft. I am going to have to use
a hardener on it to get the finish I need. My slab is 8" concrete on top of 4"
EPS foam. I power floated it to get it as level as I could and will grind the
bits that aren't quite right with a diamond cup wheel to get the "perfect"
finish. I am planning to use an epoxy floor paint to finish it.

http://www.test-net.com/workshop/week50.html

In my Garage (pre-workshop) I built duck-boards using 2x4s and decking boards
to en able my 10 year old son to reach the lathe. These were very comfortable
to stand on. of course, he doesn't need them now, since he is now 13 and
taller than me :-(

Good luck with the project and keep us posted

Mark Rand
RTFM