Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Smith

Default Wet books?

Interleave pages with paper towel, and press (weights are ok, doesn't need a
bookbinding press) the books while they dry. Rotate the paper towels out and
allow them to dry out in open air. Sewing interfacing is good between the
books, if you do them in a stack (not the iron-on kind, just pellon). The
mold is going to be a bitch, though. You might find some information at
http://www.cbbag.ca/, at least it will be a good jumping off point. The
other thing worth trying, if it is a really bad case of mold, is to expose
the books to formaldehyde crystals in a sealed garbage can. You can't really
de-innoculate paper, once it is innoculated with mold, all you can do is
ensure that they don't stay in conditions for the mold to grow (ie dry is
good). I wouldn't put moldy books on the same shelf with unmoldy books, the
mold travels pretty easily. Wet and un-moldy books should be segregated from
the moldy ones, immediately. Freezing helps arrest mold, and is a pretty
good stop gap if you have more stuff than you can deal with (ie bag and
freeze the lot, defrost and dry a few books, repeat till done).

If you hit a wall, let me know, I have lots of contacts with bookbinders and
bookbinding, book conservation etc.

Adam Smith
Midland, ON, Canada