Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default Garage Conversion

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 23:42:15 +0000, Matthew Bailey wrote:

I would need to raise the floor of the garage to meet the existing kitchen
floor. Currently we have a step in the door frame going from the kitchen
to the utility room. If I was to remove the door frame at the bottom of
the door such that the new floor was flush with the existing kitchen would
this complicate the project?

Watch that bit. Assuming you can still get a car in the garage you may
have issues with fuel vapour, which is denser than air, pooling on the
ground and spilling into the kitchen. I don't know if it's allowed with
proviso of other ventilation or not (not an expert), I just said you could
have issues.

You could do worse than have a word in person with your council's Building
Control Officer. As much as I can't stand Part P/L and some of the other
crap that's come down from above recently, these people do know a lot
about fire and structural matters, and if you can persuade the
receptionist to call one down, they'll sometimes give free advice in my
experience.

Cheers

Tim