Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matthew Bailey

Default Garage Conversion

I have a double length garage. I would like to convert the rear of the
garage into a utility room. We already have a door that goes from the
kitchen into the garage and another door at the back of the garage into the
garden.

I am trying to understand what I need and can do.

Can I just build a stud wall partition between then new utility room and the
garage? I have read lots of messages from people converting double width
garages into additional rooms building a brick wall as a partition. Do I
need a brick partition for my project? I plan to have a door to go from the
utility room into the garage. I am assuming this would need to be a fire
door and also the new partition needs to be fire proof as well?

I would need to raise the floor of the garage to meet the existing kitchen
floor. Currently we have a step in the door frame going from the kitchen to
the utility room. If I was to remove the door frame at the bottom of the
door such that the new floor was flush with the existing kitchen would this
complicate the project? I read something about if still class the "external
door" as the existing kitchen door, then it does not matter what I do in the
new utility room. If I removed the step then it could not be classed as an
external door anymore. Is this true?

Cheers,

Matt
---