Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Dimmer Switch Smoking

DaveR wrote:
On 4 Dec 2005 23:35:17 -0800, wrote:

I talked to Lutron about a client's Skylark and they seemed very
nervious that it was run at 600W. They asked if the heat sink tabs had
been removed on the front. Definately replace the unit up to 1000W or
bulb at 75W max as above.

Seems strange to me that a device should be rated at 600W and yet be
"pushing its limits" at that load. I would think the rating should be
somewhat conservative.

Nevertheless I don't doubt that my 600W load probably had something to
do with the problem. I will pull out one of the 100W bulbs which I
really don't need, and then eventually replace the rest with 75W which
should be sufficient for this room.

I have a bunch of other 600W Skylarks in my home but thankfully they
are all pushing 300W or less.

Switch over to compact fluorescents. They use about 25% of the energy,
give excellent light and last far longer.