Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Default "Dream Home" laminate flooring

I put down about 500 sq. ft. of the floor in a living room, a dining
room, and a hallway (high traffic area). jdk's comment about leaving a
space at the edges is very true. I left 1/4" to 1/2" of gap at the
walls and any other edge to allow for expansion. This stuff should not
be used in a high-moisture area, and I think any documentation that can
be found will state that spills should be wiped up quickly and not
given a chance to soak in (this doesn't mean you have to walk around
the house with a wiping rag in your pocket all day, but you shouldn't
leave spills any longer than you have to). Wet mopping is most
definitely NOT recommended, I think a "Swiffer" type cleaning pad will
work for most cleaning, sweeping with a broom worked well on dust and
dirt. That reminds me of another note: Keep it clean! If you leave
dirt particles on the floor and walk on it, you could scratch it,
though the surface seems to take quite a lot of abuse (daughter banging
hard plastic blocks around on it). I still stand by my statement that
I like it, but like hardwood floors, there are things you can and can
not do with it, and it needs to be cared for.